Beauty and the Beast – 2.15 – Catch Me If You Can – Review: Eat, drink and be merry.
— Markus Zusak, The Book Thief
•Don’t forget to live tweet with the show (@cwbatb) every Monday night at 9 PM EST/8PM Central on The CW.
•Trend events begin at 6 PM EST and end around 1 AM EST.
•The official hashtag according to Nielsen and Trendrr is STILL #BATB.
•Also remember to only use two hashtags in your tweets, otherwise it is filtered out as spam.
Synopsis: CAT AND VINCENT FIND THEMSELVES IN A COMPROMISING SITUATION — Feeling pulled between her current boyfriend and her ex, Cat has to decide between Gabe and Vincent. While Cat and Vincent work together to save Sam’s latest victim, Cat’s decision gets complicated when she and Vincent find themselves in a compromising situation.
My thought on this week’s writer…
Well, we haven’t seen Mr. Tuchman since episode 2x05: Reunion, you know that episode that began our crazy descent into VinCat falling apart and Gabe’s foothold of being front and center and near Catherine in every episode for all her emotional turmoil and what not. How fitting that his latest episode be the one to launch a cannon ball into the raft of a ship that was Gatherine. But at least he managed to get Tess into more of the action and balanced the gal pals and the bromance unlike the last few episodes so a few brownie points on that front. I also did not envy his draw for having to write this episode which was the crucial step of beginning to put VinCat back together.
Vincent’s stock has soared and I’m more in love him right now than at any time this season (with the exception of Hothead). Meanwhile, Cat’s stock has plummeted and basically hit rock bottom and nothing short of her becoming police commissioner, kicking Gabe to the curb and telling Vincent that they shouldn’t rush back into a relationship but they should start building toward a healthy “FRIENDSHIP” before getting back together would I have made me happy so, I gave him a serious pass. I will say the dialog wasn’t as repetitive and sophomoric as it has been for a few episodes so even more brownie points on that front.
Let’s just move on, shall we...
My thoughts on this week’s director…
I absolutely loved the visual aesthetics this week. It was a perfect blend of light and darkness and Ms. Bailey really captured all the subtle nuances of all the facial expressions that went down this week. It’s nice to have a very accomplished female director on set every now and again and if we get a season 3 I hope to see her back. I could gush for days about all the cool little things she did that I noticed but I won’t. I just want to say she blended in but she also stood out and it made screencapping and gif making a joy and a lot less arduous this week.
Also even though Kick Butt!Cat did show up, she wasn’t as awesome as she has previously been. She missed her shot at Sam, she had a huge tussle with Sam that she almost didn’t win (when previously, she has gotten the upper hand on beasts) and she lost her voice in how to proceed on case (usually the means justify the ends, especially when an innocent life is at stake) because it made Gabe uncomfortable. But most disturbing of all she let Gabe give her an ultimatum not, once but TWICE and was seemingly ready to comply both times. Are you serious? Where is my strong, kick butt, independent Cat at? The love triangle between her, Gabe and Vincent has left Vincent smelling like a rose and mud on her face and Gabe gets to be self-righteous if Cat tells him what happened and even gets a little sympathy in theory if Cat hides it from him. Oh, and I almost forgot the icing on the cake, she was more worried about her car than she was Sam’s victim. Also she came across as meek and mild while Gabe scolded her about her ties to Vincent. It has just gotten gross and pathetic at how Beauty and Beast has begun to fail the Bechdel miserably and unapologetically. Even the men can barely go a scene without talking a woman.
JTnT – No comment because we still don’t know what exactly happened in that hotel room in upstate New York a few weeks ago. Instead of even more of Sam’s surly behind how about a text message or a phone call between then in the background? Too much to ask for apparently and that’s a shame. But anyway…
Character of the Night
• Vincent, without a doubt. Three weeks in a row, I think that’s a record or some sort.
Best Character Interactions
• Vincent and JT
Line of the Night
• JT: Hey, don’t look at me. I’m just making this crap up.
Scene of the Night
• Vincent doesn’t give up on Zavier and manages to revive him.
• Cat’s facial expressions every time Gabe talks down to Vincent while she is in the room.
• The big fluffy robe made an appearance.
• The return of the leather jackets (especially Cat’s black and burnt orange one and JT’s jacket)
• Gabe in yet another tight V-neck sweater (Sendhil’s pectoral definition does things to me)
• Tess subtle facial expressions when she talks to Cat (she just wants to yell at Cat to stop being a hot mess and you can’t tell me otherwise)
• Vincent (referring to Sam): Can you believe this guy?
• JT: and you let him live?
• JT: So you’re not perfect, what’s more human than that?
• JT: You know maybe should stop thinking about what Cat wants and start doing what you want. (That’s a real bro moment) and see where that leads. What do you want?
• Tess: You’re not going to tell me that’s what separates man from beast next are ya?
• The VinCat kiss
• The VinCat hug
• Vincent saves Zavier
• JT’s pep talk to Vincent about deciding and pursuing his desires.
• Cat and Tess talk about Gabe giving Cat a key to his place.
• JT pep talks
• Beasts don’t get better they only get worse
• the theme of ‘Man or Beast?’
• the heart wants what the heart wants, consequences be damned.
Biggest Surprise of the Episode
• VinCat is seemingly back together by the end of this episode.
• Xavier isn’t stuck being a beast.
•.Still no word on what went down with JTnT at the hotel.
• I don’t like the way this love triangle ultimately makes Cat look, which is fickle, needy and not very independent.
• Another car accident, really?
• There was no security at the CIA bunker?
• There was not a huge swarm of government officials after the CIA bunker blew up?
• Sam would have been swooped up immediately and taken off US soil for rendition.
• Again, there were a whole lot more but I'm choosing to my battles from here on out. If you want to hear the whole conversation be sure to check out the podcast this week.
1. Is that capsule full of beast blood? Is Sam going to make himself a beast?
2. Sam is way too cocky. But why?
3. Why won’t Sam let Team Beastie help them?
4. What happened to Cat and Tess’s boss?
• Gabe gives Cat a key to his apartment.
• Gabe waltzes into Vincent’s place unannounced to tell him Cat is his.
• Tess still appears to be on Team Gabe.
• They didn’t just let Vincent kill Sam.
Side Note: If you don’t get this review’s title reference this week, boy will you ever next week.
Last Week’s Poll Results –BATB Great Debate #14 – Do think VinCat will actually be on the right track by episode 2x16? Well, 73% of pegged it right by saying that they would be.
This Week’s Poll – BATB Great Debate #15 - How will you feel if VinCat is not back together at the end of 2x16?
Make sure you vote and comment on this week’s Best Scene Poll as well.
The DVMPE’s Beauty and the Beast Podcast
Facebook Fan Page
Fun Fact: If you like the show Reign and are a Royal like am I, I'm happy to announce that I am now one of the reviewers over on Spoiler TV for Reign. Be sure to check out my review for the show this week!
Well, now it's your turn to sound off in the comments section below. I look forward to reading your thoughts.
PS: Don't forget to promote this and all positive Beauty and the Beast articles in all the social media you can. For instance be sure to click the like button, retweet this and +1 this article if you like it and appreciate this reviewer's hard work.
Powered by Blogger.